Readinista's Reviews > Silver and Stone

Silver and Stone by J.D. Thompson

Oct 31, 11

bookshelves: spooky-month, something-indie, 2011-reads
Read from September 28 to October 03, 2011

Thank you to J D Thompson for the opportunity read and review Silver and Stone!

It’s been awhile since a book made me think about it whenever I was not reading it. The pull to read it came frequently when I was working, trying to go to bed, or out and about. Then a part of me ached knowing that, at that moment, reading was not an option and I would have to wait. As I reached the second half of the book, I began toting it around with me everywhere eager to read it when ever I had a free second.

Silver and Stone keeps you guessing right up until the end. Up front, you know it’s a paranormal romance, but you don’t know what type of paranormal. With young adult paranormal romance being a dime a dozen these days, I had my doubts about whether or not Silver and Stone would be any different from other books I’ve read. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was not only unique but far from the others. There are similar romantic themes found in a couple popular titles, but otherwise it is very different from anything else I’ve read.

Despite going through a tough time at the beginning of the book, Alexis is easy to relate to and overall a strong heroine. Her friends, Amber and Logan, are a hoot and add a lot of humor to the story. Together they are a fun trio who are always there for each other. Their friendship made me I wish more books featured such strong bonds among the main female characters. And then there is Lucas, the mysterious new boy. He is handsome, likeable, and all that good stuff but he also hard to figure out. His character is one that will keep you guessing and I’m not going to give anymore away. Alexis has another friend named Theo, who adds a little bit of interest to the story as his role is not very clear and is still vague at the end of the story. Personally, I wanted to see more of his character, but maybe there will be more of him in the next book.

I have a great things to say about Silver and Stone but I did have a few issues with the book that resulted in my three star rating. For one, it didn’t feel completely finished and not in the way a first book in a series leaves things open. There were scenes that moved too quickly and I would have preferred for them to be longer. The ending also felt rushed and I would have preferred the final chapters to be fleshed out more. In addition, there are typos sprinkled through out the book and overall it could use some basic editing. However, the typos are easy to get past and don’t interfere with the flow too much. All those aside,what influenced my three star rating the most were the plot holes. The plot distracted me from the ending that I might have otherwise might have wrapped up nicely.

As side from the issues above, I really enjoyed Silver and Stone and highly recommend it to young adult paranormal romance fans. It pulled me in and never let go and book like this are always the most fun to read. I’m looking forward to Blood and Champagne, the next book in the series, coming out in 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver and Stone.