Louise's Reviews > Vanity Fair's How a Book is Born: The Making of The Art of Fielding

Vanity Fair's How a Book is Born by Keith Gessen

Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Recommended to Louise by: Patrick Brown
Recommended for: everyone who reads books
Read on October 17, 2011 — I own a copy

Holy moly. It's very rare that I finish a book and feel like I *must* post my 5-star review of it on Goodreads right away, but here I am.

First thing's first. Don't let the boring title and cover throw you off. This is a very good case for how a book with a mundane title can still have compelling content.

The entire title of the book is "Vanity Fair's How a Book is Born: The Making of The Art of Fielding" but I think it should be "Vanity Fair's How a Book is Born: and How to Write a Book to Get You to Buy Another Book" Right after I'm done writing this review, I'm off to purchase The Art of Fielding and I don't even understand baseball!

Despite working at Goodreads, I was never that interested in the business and politics of traditional book publishing, which is why it took me this long to read this book. Luckily, the book is the perfect length -- short and sweet. It makes for an exciting read, kind of like the way Michael Lewis made the banking industry sound exciting in The Big Short.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanity Fair's How a Book is Born.

10/17/2011
58.0% "Action and suspense! This book is more thrilling than its title suggests."
10/17/2011
82.0% "Ah this is where the Night Circus hype started. It's. A. Trap."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kyusik Chung What?? That's certainly not true. You *always* feel like you must post your 5-star review of a book on Goodreads right away, right? :)

Louise Well, sometimes I do feel like that, but I don't want to post too high of a rating after coming off of a "book afterglow" so I force myself to wait a day or two.