Myfavoritegeorgie's Reviews > The Age of Comfort: When Paris Discovered Casual—and the Modern Home Began

The Age of Comfort by Joan DeJean

U_50x66
Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: fashion, giveaway, history, interior-decoration, own-have-read, and, z2010-read, 2010-read
Read in October, 2010

I won this book on a Giveaway and was delighted.

This book, about a subject of particular interest to me (history of decoration, lifestyles in the past, fashion of the past, etc.) amply fulfilled my expectations.

It was fascinating to learn the history of the development of bedrooms, flush toilets, and the use of cotton in clothing, to name but a few things.

This book would serve, perhaps, as more of a reference type book than just a read-it-all-at-once book; the style of writing is very understandable and detailed, but not the kind of thing that one would sit down and read straight through without having time to think about the subject. At least for me.

I knew absolutely nothing about the life in France during the time period of this book and so found it quite educational in a general way as well. Particularly interesting to me was the description of how clothing went from being miserably uncomfortable to much more relaxed and tolerable to wear; and how furniture became designed to actually be comfortable instead of merely formal.

All in all, a pleasant read and I recommend the book to anyone interested in the subjects it covers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Comfort.