Ash's Reviews > Bittersweet

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

May 08, 12

Read from March 30 to April 08, 2012

I was really excited to read this and I’m not even embarrassed to say that it was because it involved cupcakes. I mean really, who doesn’t like cupcakes? Al-Qaida that’s who! Anyone who knows me is aware of my slight dessert obsession, so obviously I felt like Bittersweet was just calling to me.

Quick Overview: The past few years have not been ideal for Hudson. Her parents split and she blew her only chance at making it big in ice skating. Now she receives a couple of random e-mails from her dad as he travels the west coast with his shelvis girlfriend, while Hudson is stuck baking cupcakes in her mom’s diner. It’s not all bad. Hudson actually likes baking cupcakes and hanging out with her genius little brother, Bug. She can’t help thinking that she ruined the only chance she had at leaving her little town. Hudson loves ice skating, but when she’s presented with a second chance she’s terrified of taking it. Things get even more complicated when the co-captain (who might like her) of the hockey team asks for her help. Hudson has to figure what she wants and how much she’s willing to sacrifice for her second chance.

I’ll admit that I was a little disappointed that the book didn’t concentrate more on the cupcakes, but I love it when I can read a book that’s fun without having to endure vapid characters. Hudson is so funny and flawed, but she’s trying so hard to do what she thinks is right. Some of her choices are a lot more selfish than I would’ve thought her capable of, but it never feels like it’s coming from the wrong place. The diner plays a big part in the book and Ockler did a great job of bringing it to life. She shows the good, the bad, and the really ugly involved in working at the diner. I absolutely loved Hudson’s precocious little brother, Bug. He is so sweet and smart while still being a believable (and awesome) eight year-old. Josh was obviously pretty great too and I liked Hudson’s interaction with the hockey guys.

Even though I really enjoyed reading Fixing Delilah, this book was more of my speed. Ockler’s writing seems to be getting lighter and I think it suits her. Bittersweet was fluffy and sweet (hello, there’s cupcakes), but it still brings likable, real characters. I’m not gonna lie, I totally made a batch of cupcakes after reading this and ate two right away, and then another for dessert. I didn’t even feel a little bit bad. So if while you’re reading you get a hankering for sweets, just eat the cupcakes my friends. Life is just better with dessert.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.

04/05/2012 page 125

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Cara You do make a mean cupcake woman;) Great review Ash.