michelle's Reviews > The Phantom of Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery

The Phantom of Pemberley by Regina Jeffers

Sep 12, 11

Read from September 10 to 12, 2011

Urg.

Sequels or companions to Pride and Prejudice are very hit and miss. I generally find those which work best are the ones that use the characters, but go off on a tangent of some sort, not trying to replicate the work of Austen.

I have read some good ones - Mr Darcy's Diary, for example - but most are pretty hideous.

I found myself irritated with this one from page one. I tried to push through to my standard 50 page minimum (for books I am at first ambivalent about) before throwing it aside, but I only made it as far as page 17.

What made me realise I wouldn't be finishing it, although I did push forward a little more, was when the author put dialogue that was used in the BBC mini-series onto the
Mouth of one of the characters. Quite frankly, it annoyed me.

Really, don't waste your time.

EDIT: Now reading some of the gr reviews, I see that many of my irritations were felt by others. Seriously, if you value Austen at all, stay away!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Phantom of Pemberley.