Nadia's Reviews > Salvage the Bones

Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward

Sep 09, 11

Read this book - you will not be disappointed! The writing is excellent and the characters truly are unforgettable. Your heart will break reading about Esch and her family and the extreme poverty they live in; plus, you won't be able to put the book down once Hurricane Katrina makes her way to their home and starts wreaking all sorts of havoc. Consisting of twelve chapters, each one representing a day in the life of the Batiste family, Salvage the Bones, tells the gripping story of four siblings and their drunken father, all of whom are trying to make do with the various situations they find themselves involved in. We have a pregnant fourteen year old named, Esch, who is trying to work up the courage to tell Manny (her crush and brother's best friend) that he is about to be a father, all the while hiding her baby bump behind baggy clothing. An older brother nicknamed, Skeetah, who is obsessed with making sure his one true love, China, is mending well after giving birth to her first litter of pups. And then their is Randall, who is trying to figure out how to get himself to basketball camp, and Junior, the baby brother who always seems to be in the way. Rounding out the story is Claude, the patriarch of the Batiste family; he's busy drinking and talking about hurricanes, that he has no idea what his children are really up to. Throw in a hurricane of epic proportions and you got yourself a story so mesmerizing that you won't be able to take your nose out of your book. I haven't felt so emotionally engaged with a book in so long, that reading Salvage the Bones was a great reminder of how fantastically riveting literature can be. This book focuses on family, tragedy, abandonment, and poverty in such an honest way, that you can't help but become consumed by the Batiste's dramas and livelihood. You want nothing but the best for these four forgotten children who have had to grow up too fast too soon.

On a personal note, having experienced a hurricane as devastating as Katrina firsthand (mine was Hurricane Andrew), I can definitely attest to the realistic portrayal of the flooding, howling winds,
and destructive aftermath of trees bent in half, roofs torn off buildings, cars overturned, and houses reduced to piles of rubble. Reading all about the preparations of boarding windows, gathering supplies, filling the sinks and tubs with water and hearing about evacuation instructions made me think back to my own experience. I could remember the feelings of uncertainty, fear and disbelief at not only witnessing the destructive storm, but also upon seeing the complete destruction of my home and the town I grew up in. It was as if Ward had taken a peek at my memories about a storm I had long forgotten about and brought them out for me to revisit. My heart was racing as I read about the Batiste's house flooding through and how they struggled to find shelter from the storm - I felt like I was getting pelted with water. And if a book can touch you on a variety levels, just like this one did for me, then it is definitely a book worth reading. I would recommend Jesmyn Ward's, Salvage the Bones to everyone - it is a must read!! You will love it!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvage the Bones.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becca is it worth the 14.99 (And that is the Ebook price!) ?????? or shall I wait??