Elisabeth Do Lam's Reviews > A Taste of My Life

A Taste of My Life by Raymond Blanc

F 50x66
Sep 09, 11

liked it

I just read this book over a summer weekend and enjoyed its content. Maybe it is because I can relate to the author's home region, Franche-Comte and his home country France. It is an entertaining book about Raymond Blanc's odyssey to become a successful and Michelin-acknowledged chef. It is well written to keep reading, and the way he describes in detail the recipes he created or the ones his mother cooked, is simply mouth-watering. It made me want to buy fresh tomatoes, shallots and red wine vinegar right away and eat tomato salads for a few days! He comes across as quite genuine, in his zest, ambitions and mistakes. Although I noticed some inferiority complex and a repeating need to justify himself which could be sometimes annoying. Maybe because of his unusual career path for a chef, since he didn't go to a cooking school, but instead worked up his way? Well, this is even more remarkable, Monsieur Blanc - so there is no need for justification. Overall, Raymond Blanc comes across as sympathetic and respectful (towards others) which makes it easier to identify with him while reading. The language is simple, yet well written. Truly a book about the love for food, French cuisine and the ambition of a self-made chef who achieved success and fame thanks to his hard work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Taste of My Life.