Ed's Reviews > The Leftovers

The Leftovers by Tom Perrotta

Sep 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011, 3-stars, read-on-kindle, dystopia, amazon-best-book-of-the-month
Read from September 09 to 21, 2011

Good news, bad news. I don't think there could be such a thing as a "bad" Tom Perrotta book. The Leftovers has become my least favorite Tom Perrotta book.

The even worse news may be that this book stole that dubious title away from Perrotta's previous effort, The Abstinence Teacher. So I am bit concerned that Perrotta is on a downward trajectory and certainly seems to be drifting from his satiric/dark side of suburbia heights so brilliantly seen in Election or Little Children.

The disappointing thing is that the material - post-rapture suburban life - seemed so ripe and easy plucking for Perrotta. I have always found his stuff to have a real bit, but this one just seemed a bit flat or soft/mushy. I always enjoyed Perrotta's insight into everyday folks and his sly ways of understand the motivations behind people's actions, but here I just felt the cast of characters were lost in a the proverbial fog (understandable!) and some characters, particularly Laurie, I just didn't "get."

While this review seems like a hard slam to the literary ground, it's really not... more a case of Perrotta having set a very high bar for himself in my eyes. Still an enjoyable read, and a case of "like" over a usual "love."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Leftovers.