Alondra's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

May 13, 12

bookshelves: favorites, books-i-own
Recommended for: Everyone who loves a good story
Read from April 01 to May 13, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: Once

I will not repeat the description of this book. I don't think I ever have in a review. If you want to know what it's about, read the jacket; if you want to hear what I "think" about it, you read my review.

This was an awesome read.

Where the heck have I been and why have I been putting this off?

You have murder, betrayal, more murder, incest (as we know it), back-stabbing, lies, and honor. Really? This book has it all and does not deter from it's story with a cookie-cutter style plot. You expect the good guys to win and the bad guys to get swallowed up by their own evil; not this story. This story tells a lot of hard truths about the lives of our main characters. A story that weaves and twines itself around us with numerous characters and plots. You wonder how you will remember it all, and somewhere along the line you forget that. You become involved. You become invested in this story. You remember what knight belongs to which house, and who exactly is the Mountain that rides! I mean how could you forget? I became involved and shared a tear, even. More often I shared a few expletives because of the duplicity of some of the characters and pure evil of others.

Many times during the reading of this book I kept saying to myself, "no, no way would that happen!" and other times I was in shock when things did not. I mentioned honor earlier, but not too many characters have true honor. Even the characters you think are most honorable, hide dastardly secrets that could harm or even destroy others.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Alondra Liked

George R.R. Martin
“When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

George R.R. Martin
“When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.”

04/02/2012 page 30
04/04/2012 page 52
6.0% "a lot of characters... but intriguing."
04/13/2012 page 101
12.0% "i think i am addicted... these folks are shameless and foul!"
04/22/2012 page 315
38.0% "...slowly, but surely; and i am really liking this. definitely will read the 2nd in the series... as long as it doesn't get sucky by the end... hehehe" 3 comments
05/06/2012 page 475
57.0% "..just devious... and i just love Tyrion! He is hilarious.. :)"
05/07/2012 page 585
70.0% "... I cannot put this book down. The murder, mayhem, and lies... good grief! Poor Jon; has asks a favor and seems to get punished, but not all is lost ..."
05/08/2012 page 640
77.0% "War....."
05/09/2012 page 669
80.0% 5 comments
05/10/2012 page 721
86.0% "..what was Dany thinking? I mean, really? The Maegi is evil... just had a feeling about the baby; will keep reading to see what is up....mmmm"
05/11/2012 page 721
86.0% "..more shock and awe...:O"
05/12/2012 page 785
94.0% "I am feeling sad because I am almost done; and yet anxious to read the second book.. :)"
show 9 hidden updates…

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Ooooh, I will be looking for your review, most definitely! I have been thinking of picking up this series once I finish Uncle Stevie's massive mind-blowing collection. :)

Alondra Kathryn wrote: "Ooooh, I will be looking for your review, most definitely! I have been thinking of picking up this series once I finish Uncle Stevie's massive mind-blowing collection. :)"

I had originally started A Tale of Two Cities, but just could not get into it. I picked this up today while visiting my dad.

Bill I have about 3 or 4 of the series in my shelf so will have to read it. I've been looking forward to it for awhile. Glad to see you are enjoying so much.

message 4: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Love your review! I will have to pick these up one day. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Alondra Thanx Kathryn and Bill! It was so much fun to read; even the battle scenes... which is saying a lot.