Jadalynn's Reviews > The Winter of Red Snow: The Revolutionary War Diary of Abigail Jane Stewart, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, 1777

The Winter of Red Snow by Kristiana Gregory

U_50x66
Sep 14, 11

bookshelves: children-s-lit
Read in September, 2011

This book is historical fiction and it would be good for intermediate readers. This book is the diary of a young girl growing up in the middle of the revolutionary war. It’s a somewhat dry book, there’s not much to it. I remember reading it for the first time, probably in 6th grade, not really enjoying it, and reading through it again I still didn’t really enjoy it. It’s not a bad book, but not all that fascinating. Kids could learn a lot from it, but only if they read it. I like to encourage children to read books that I think they’ll enjoy and I don’t know too many children who would truly enjoy this book. It has some journal entries that are probably put there just to make it seem like a real journal, but really have no reason for being, they’re just so short and pointless. Some say “it rained all day” we don’t really need to know that. I feel like if something serves no real purpose it shouldn’t be there. It’s another book that I don’t think I would pick to use in a class room but if a child elected to read it I would be pleased with that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter of Red Snow.