Kristen's Reviews > Sounds of Murder

Sounds of Murder by Patricia Rockwell

Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read on September 09, 2011

Really not worth the time (and I read it in about 3 hours). I am predispositioned to like mysteries set in a university environment and I was hoping to pick up a bit about sound in psychology too.

This book (published in 2010) seemed to paint such an unrealistic picture of today's psychology departments that I couldn't get past it. I can't count the number of times the author referred to "special research databases" that could only be accessed on these four special computers. Yes, she confirms she's talking about things like Dissertation Abstracts Full Text. Anyone with university authentication has been able to access these from their university library from any computer in the world for at least a decade. And the victim got this huge computer lab to do survey research? And the sound specialist shares it? But there's only three computers that record? But there's a long line of research participants? And the researcher specializing in sound doesn't have headphones on her office computer (always concerned about others hearing her play the recording of the murder)?

Then the use of sound is dumbed down so much as to make it hard to imagine that this is someone who specializes in this. There is zero detail about doing sound comparisons or anything that really brings out what this sound person was able to do that the police couldn't have.

I got this as a 0.99 NookBook and I'm glad I didn't pay more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sounds of Murder.