Space's Reviews > The Time Machine

The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

Apr 10, 13

bookshelves: time-travel
Read in January, 2004, read count: 3

I've read this one several times throughout the years, and it never fails to capture me. Unlike the time travel classic by Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle in Time, this one just gets better and better.

The subhuman species in this book, the Eloi and the Morlocks, still have such great magical appeal to me. The memories I have of reading about the subterranean Morlocks, mingles with the words as I read them, and it's a moving experience. The time traveler tries to go back in time to change the outcome of one event, and continually has different outcomes, but they're all essentially unwanted or negative. You just can't change history.

If you haven't read this one, I feel like you're probably missing out on one of the greatest literary works ever created. This one won many awards back in the 1890s. It's now on the public domain, so you can download a copy anywhere on the Internet and read it for free. I'd recommend you do so as soon as possible. This is a fun, exciting, adventurous look at the very distant future of earth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time Machine.