Yrinsyde's Reviews > Hissy Fit

Hissy Fit by Mary Kay Andrews

Apr 26, 08

liked it
bookshelves: public-library
Recommended for: American girls who love chick-lit
Read in April, 2008

There is an immediate problem with this book is obvious to the reader who isn't American: it has been written for American women and not for those who live in other parts of the world. Why is this obvious? Well, as the heroine of the book is an interior designer, many products (not just furnishing but food also) are mentioned (many US so it is difficult to picture what these are. But if you have a good imagination and can visualise what these may be, or substitute them for others well known to you, this is a fine rollocking tale with some fun moments. I do have a bone to pick though - the missing mother is a bit rich - and the feelings of the characters associated with it are obscure.

Another thing. I can never understand the weird and strange names that some Americans have. Chub - is that short for chubby? What a cruel name for a child! Keeley? GiGi??? Mookie ?? Hmmm... And I have to add that some of the venacular made my blood curdle ... Dayumm ... Errrrr yuk!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hissy Fit.

Anna Even for some American women, the writing is very idiomatic, so don't feel too left out by the vernacular! The Deep South does have a way with words, including nick-names.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

It is not just American, but specifically the Southeast part, which has it's own particular culture. :)

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather I haven't read this book, yet.. but I have come to read many books where I am introduced to 'new things'. Thanks to google I have looked up everthing from monasteries in Europe, desserts from Constantanople to statues in Georgia.. So even if it is not the most brilliant of writings, it sounds like its a fun read - and the best part.. you learned something new about a place you've never been.. =)

Shiloh The story is fun, but these people are racist and judgmental. I'm from NC and let me say, not all southerners are like this. The scene with Serena (Asian) making dinner, and Keeley is surprised she has a southern accent too an she's making shrimp creole?!?! Keeley thinks all Asians only eat chicken chow main. I mean how dumb?

Dana The names she chooses are prevalent nicknames in the south (southern sphere of the US). I don't think Andrews writes her books thinking about a European or other reader. She is writing about the world she knows, the deep south, with its delicious scents, dialect and clever characters.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen I am from the USA and I live in the south. NC to be exact. When I read books from the UK, I feel the same as you! The most recent book I read from the UK was Dorothy Koomson. I learned a lot of new words such as: bloke, rucksack, knickers, flat (which means apartment..I think.), knackered, mummy (mommy), and bum (bottom, butt). I had to search these words online while reading the book. So, don't assume that only in the USA we have strange dialect because each country has their own unique culture.

LibraryDanielle Chub is a nickname for Charles. I have no idea how or why, but I have an Uncle Chub, and that is the only reason I know.

and if it helps I didn't recognize a single design name, style, etc, and just made stuff up in my head. I am going to google chest on chest though because the picture in my head is just stupid.