Christine's Reviews > The End of Everything

The End of Everything by Megan Abbott

Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads
Read in July, 2011

Lizzie and Evie are thirteen years old, next door neighbours, inseparable friends for life who share everything from bathing suits to deep dark secrets. One day after school Evie disappears and Lizzie begins to realize that there is one secret that they did not share. As the, so far, unsuccessful search for Evie continues Lizzie begins to realize that she could have some of the clues to help bring her back. As the story progresses the reader is taken further into the lives of these young girls and their families. And as much as Lizzie desperately wants her best friend back she is also beginning to revel in being the center of attention and she seems to find one piece of evidence after the other with regards to the whole disappearance.

As an overall read I would not say this book was outstanding, but if you read carefully and look a little bit between the lines the story becomes so much more than on the surface. It raises questions in the reader’s mind about what exactly was going on in these homes so touched by tragedy. In that sense the book was a little haunting. In writing this review I suddenly realize that I am not sure if I liked the book or not. Hmmmm …

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Everything.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne I remember being 13 and I remember having crushes on older boys, but I was clueless about the sexual part of it other some kissing. Also, most young girls are way more attracted to boys who are feminine looking. Think Justin Bieber (however his name is spelled). I'm surprised that none of the one- or two-star ratings didn't mention the weird relationship between Dusty and her father. Did any of you discuss in that much detail with your father what happened with a boy you were seeing? For that matter, did your father ask for that kind of detail and act like the girlfriend you would tell and laugh about it with as she prodded for more information?

And maybe I'm not into that style of writing, but give me a break--no 13 year old girl talks like that. I got so tired of the unending strings of metaphors, just get to the point. Lizzy had such improbable thoughts that I began to think she was mentally ill and had done something Evie.

Christine Anne wrote: "I remember being 13 and I remember having crushes on older boys, but I was clueless about the sexual part of it other some kissing. Also, most young girls are way more attracted to boys who are fem..."

Thanks for the comment Anne. I agree with everything you've said, especially about the relationship with the father. I thought it bordered on "creepy". When I post my reviews I always try to avoid giving away too much of the story line, but I did make a referenceto the girl's "home lives" and I'm glad I was not the only who found it a little questionable.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne Glad you felt the same way! Also, I do know how to write a complete sentence. Just reread what I wrote and saw that I did not proof read very well!! :-)