Izzy's Reviews > The Gathering

The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong

Sep 18, 11

bookshelves: ya-paranormal-good

First off, let me say how much I LOVE Maya's character! She's someone who's definitely been lacking in relation to female protaginsts. Witty, confident and, heaven forbid, flirty! I adored her attitude and playful banter with her father. It's a relationship I was practically envious of, not to mention how her friends responded to her- at times it got a little unrealistic, like "hey your inexplicably popular and we would probably die or at least kill for you 'cos you funny" but hey, i was willing to indulge in it. I also appreciate how she didn't really take anyone's crap. Rather than swooning at a guy being up in your space unwanted, she tells him to back off rather than let herself get swayed.

(view spoiler)

Despite there being minimal amounts of actual action, the book was still very enjoyable and didn't seem boring. It really created anticipation for the next book which I assume will make up for it with oodles of action.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gathering.

Quotes Izzy Liked

Kelley Armstrong
“Rafe didn't just flirt-he charmed girls right up to the point where they fell for him, then he changed his mind.I called him a player with attention deficit disorder.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Yes you're getting your tattoo." I threw my arms around Dad's neck. "Thank you!" "Hey," Mom said. "I'm the one who had to persuade him it wasn't turning his little girl into a streetwalker." "I never said that," Dad said. "No?" I said. "Cool. Cause I've decided to skip the paw print. I'm thinking of a tramp stamp with flames that says 'Hot in Here.' No wait. Arrows. For directionally challenged guys”

Kelley Armstrong
“This is so cool," I said loudly as Dad walked away. "Have you met the tattoo artist? Is he hot?" "He's a she," Mom said. "Is she hot? Cause I'm still young, you know. My sexual identity isnt fully formed." "Your father can't hear you anymore, Maya." Mom sighed.”

Kelley Armstrong
“Another night then,' Mom said. 'Maybe on the weekend we can have a barbecue and invite your sister.'

'Or,' I said turning to Rafe, 'if you want to skip the whole awkward meet-the-family social event you could just submit your life story including your view on politics religion and every social issue imaginable along with anything else you think they might need to conduct a thorough background check.'

Mom sighed. 'I really don't know why we even bother trying to be subtle around you.'

'Neither do I. It's not like he isn't going to realize he's being vetted as daughter-dating material.'

Rafe grinned. 'So we are dating.'

'No. You have to pass the parental exam first. It'll take you awhile to compile the data. They'd like it in triplicate.' I turned to my parents. 'We have Kenjii. We have my cell phone. Since we aren't yet officially dating I'm sure you'll agree that's all the protection we need.'

Dad choked on his coffee.”