Ariel Uppstrom's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Oct 29, 11

Read from September 09 to 29, 2011

This book was very interesting. From the very beginning of the novel, I was intrigued by the birth of the conjoined twins and the death and disappearance of their parents. It was also wonderful to read about an area of the world, Ethiopia, that I haven't read much about. The author's ability to weave the culture and history of the nation into the plot of the characters was very impressive.

Overall, the story follows one of the twins, Marion, and how his life is affected by his less emotional twin, Shiva. A nun who worked at the hospital gave birth to the conjoined twins. Though no one at the time knows who the father is, everyone suspects the doctor Thomas Stone who flees from the hospital never to return after the births. As the twins grow up, they are raised in the hospital by two other doctors. They both pursue careers in medicine that ends up bringing them back in contact with their father. Along the way, the twins are torn apart in multiple ways.

I was very much attached to the main character, Marion. The number of injustices done to him throughout the story and his sensitive personality made it easy to push for him to triumph throughout the story. His cold and unemotional twin, Shiva, was not a likable character even when he attempts to redeem himself at the end.

I also very much enjoyed learning the history of Haile Selaisse in Ethiopia. I didn't know a lot of the motivation of the people or the lifestyles of them. Overall, I would recommend this book for the suspense, medical information, and historical information.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.

09/09/2011 page 49