Tayler Morrell's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Sep 09, 11

bookshelves: english-420
Read in September, 2011

I read this realistic fiction on a recommendation of my roommate. It seemed interesting--I love books about books, readers, and writers.

The Book Thief takes an interesting view on World War II Germany. It is narrated by Death, but it is not in any sense a paranormal YA book. The main character is a young girl named Liesel who struggles with reading. Her young brother dies and she is put into a foster home in a poor part of Munich. Death tells us about her story--how she struggles to read, steals a few books, refuses a kiss to young Rudy, comes to love her foster parents, and hides a Jew named Max. However, in the end, as all books should, there are a few twists and turns in this macabre book.

This is now one of my favorite books and I regret i read it so fast. It is very creatively written--I mean to narrate with Death even though he is not an important character--genius! It is very creatively written--almost in the style of a stream of thought, journal-like, personal essay.

The book discusses right vs. wrong very well. Not all Germans are evil, it is ok to use bad words at those you love (it is a form of love), stealing is ok in circumstances...
Words. Words are another HUGE motif! It reminds me so much of Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke. The power of words. Those who control the words, control everyone else.

To be honest, I cannot find weaknesses with this book. Maybe that is why it is a Printz winner!

Anyone who reads this would absolutely love it. However, since it does deal with heavy, deep, dark topics, I would suggest the book to high school students in the least.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.