Sri's Reviews > The Silicon Jungle

The Silicon Jungle by Shumeet Baluja

U_50x66
Sep 09, 11

As background - I enjoy reading books that are recommended by Scientific American - this one caught my eye. Books based on technology and real world issues are my particular favorites (see Brave New World, Freakanomics). This book worked for me.

First and foremost a scientist from Google wrote this book (you should look the author up on Google, in fact). He wrote this book about a fictional company and went to great length to say it is not based on Google - but come on, of course it's Google. It's a side of google and the internet that i had never seen. It's an exciting read that's both cynical and thought provoking. My friends who work in the tech business say that it's the most realistic portrayal of the craziness and start up mentality that they have ever read.

I lent this book to my parents and to my family who don't understand privacy, what the loss of it means, and how it is steadily disappearing. The book is new and relevant enough to be a special on tv and exciting enough to be a blockbuster movie.

Warning, though: the book is easy enough to read, but will require you to think more than your typical thriller. The payoff is more than worth it, in my opinion. If you like realistic thrillers with a heap of technology, enjoy being challenged about what you think you know about the world around you, this is a book for you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silicon Jungle.