Fran's Reviews > Stories: All-New Tales

1986715
Jul 24, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-books, shorts
Read from February 27 to July 22, 2012

Hard to review a short story collection. Of course there will be some you like more than others, and perhaps some you don't like. Now that I've finished it, there are several I've totally forgotten. Overall, I enjoyed it. I think I liked Neil Gaiman's the best, as it's the one that has stuck with me the most.

Best to see status updates here for what I thought of each story: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

I do like having a short story collection on the go at the same time as my main reading. Have got a Roald Dahl and Neil Gaiman on the go now, to mix in with my main readings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stories.

02/28/2012
3.0% "Read 'Blood'. ODD."
03/05/2012
7.0% "Read 'Fossil-Figures'. Also odd, but less odd. Just starting on 'Wildfire in Manhattan'."
03/06/2012
10.0% "Finished 'Wildfire in Manhatten'. First one that I've really liked. Slightly predictable, but that's not a bad thing as it was a good, fun, short story."
03/07/2012
18.0% "Read 'The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains'. Loved it. Read 'Unbelief'. Idgi."
04/14/2012
24.0% "Read 'The Stars Are Falling'. Liked it."
04/15/2012
39.0% "Read:
'Juvenal Nyx': ok, liked some parts, didn't like others.
'The Knife': A really short story. Not even sure if it counts as a story. Was ok.
'Weights and Measures'. Uhm...started out good, then got weird.
'Goblin Lake': Trippy.
'Mallon the Guru': Another weird one. Meh."
04/16/2012
50.0% "Read:
'Catch and Release'. Liked it.
'Polka Dots and Moonbeams'. Sort of liked it, but got a bit weird.
'Loser'. Another trippy one.
'Samantha's Diary'. Loved it. Clever and funny."
04/17/2012
57.0% "Read:
'Land of the Lost'. Ok.
'Leif in the Wind'. Also ok.
'Unwell'. Not quite sure why, but I really liked this one."
04/17/2012
57.0% "Read:
'Land of the Lost'. Ok.
'Leif in the Wind'. Also ok.
'Unwell'. Not quite sure why, but I really liked this one."
04/18/2012
61.0% "Read:
'A Life in Fictions'. Really liked it.
'Let the Past Begin'. Really liked this one too."
04/19/2012
69.0% "Read 'The Therapist'. Liked it, now having a little break."
05/16/2012
73.0% "Read 'Parallel Lines', liked, and 'The Cult of the Nose', also liked."
05/25/2012
78.0% "Read 'Human Intelligence' a couple of days ago. Loved it."
06/20/2012
83.0% "Started on 'Stories', then forgot I was reading it, then remembered and finished it last night. Was ok."
07/24/2012
100.0% "Read 'The Maiden Flight of McCauley's Bellerophon' over a few days. I really like it, it just took me a while to get through because of Life Things.
Carried straight on and read 'The Devil on the Staircase' last night. A great finish."