Laurie Saunders's Reviews > Any Human Heart

Any Human Heart by William Boyd

U_50x66
Sep 09, 11

Read in March, 2011

This is one of the books I had as part of my literary spa treatment my hubbie organised secretly because my bridesmaid was that good. The main reason that I picked this book was because the narrator is a writer. What's more, the blurb at the back presented him as a flawed, failing writer and rather mediocre family man. I felt some kinship there, indeed. I started reading this book when I was pregnant but gave up about a third in as it had become too depressing for me to carry on. A lot of that had to do with my hormones, I think. The protagonist is a crappy dad to one of his children and a very good one to the other. I think that probably scared me somewhere, the idea that you can get it wrong with your kids, like half of the time. Logan (the diarist/protagonist) is irritating to begin with: a young priviledge and gifted young man who underperforms because he's a bit of a twat. As he gets older and life teaches him a whole lot of things, I warmed to him a little bit but he remained a rather unpleasant person deep down. I think Boyd manages to achieve what he set up to do: he portrays a character who is totally human. He's not a hero, he's flawed and he's like us. I liked the end of the book because Logan seems to find some sort of peace, although it's more of a compromise with life. I picked the book again after my baby was born and I managed to read it from front to back this time. I felt the same slump and downswing as the first time, but this time I was able to identify it as a literary device rather than something to do with me. Not a book I'll read again but one that was worth reading, if only to see how despicable characters are built.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Any Human Heart.