willaful's Reviews > Sweet Justice

Sweet Justice by Christy Reece

Sep 10, 11

bookshelves: impersonation-masquerade-deceit, reunited-or-have-history, ick-factor, skanky-villains, arc-gift-or-netgalley
Recommended for: fans of uber-villains
Read from September 08 to 10, 2011, read count: 1

Five years previously, Seth and Honor had fallen in love at the worst possible time -- during the start of a deep cover sting that Seth knows will pretty much destroy his life, if it doesn’t end it completely. Fearing for Honor’s safety, he ruthlessly broke it off with her.

Now Seth is out of the undercover operation, but still not back to anything resembling normal life. But when his college-aged niece disappears, apparently one in a series of missing young women, Seth is forced to turn to Last Chance Rescue for help in finding her -- the organization where Honor now works.

I enjoyed this as a reunion romance; neither Seth nor Honor has ever gotten over the other, but there’s a lot of pain and mistrust they need to work through before they can truly be together. Their feelings for each other are essential to the plot, especially at one point when Honor is in terrible danger: “Though the room was dark, Honor closed her eyes and thought about Seth... Keeping him at the forefront, she knew without a doubt, she could survive whatever these monsters threw at her. Seth would be her light in the darkness.”

I also liked that, despite a premise in which women are inherently victimized, there are portrayals of strong women in the story, and Honor is no helplessly waiting for rescue by Seth.

The rest of the book didn’t work as well for me. The villains here are seriously upsetting: incestuous, sadistic murderers and rapists. Their operation is not very plausible but more importantly, I didn’t feel the story had enough emotional depth to balance out how truly sickening they are. (The details aren’t graphic but still, this is not for the squeamish.) Another downside was that several interesting threads just peter out. There was what seemed to be an interesting subplot in which one member of the LCR team becomes obsessed with one of the missing women, a plain, shy girl who no one had noticed missing for weeks. This was then abruptly dropped. We see one of the more resourceful kidnapped girls escaping and follow her adventures for awhile. Then this too is dropped.

This is 7th in the overall series and the first in the 3rd three book set. I haven’t read any of the others, but didn’t feel at all lost. I enjoyed it enough to give the author another try, though if meglomaniac evil villains are a recurring theme, she's probably not for me.

(Reviewed from e-arc provided by netGalley.)
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Justice.

09/09/2011 page 137
39.0% "Heroine who wears pantsuits, almost as unattractive as hero who wears do-rags."