Ben's Reviews > Heretics of Dune

Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert

Sep 15, 11

Read from September 09 to 15, 2011

Bizarre and bizarrely compelling. I think part of what makes the Dune books so tricky is that they're profoundly unlike any other science fiction or fantasy I've ever read. Yes, there are certainly elements that are comparable--Herbert loved to invent culture, language and history as much as any author ever has--but his aims were a whole lot more complex. The time scale is also challenging. Few sagas take place over such a lengthy period, and it is Herbert's optimism about the durability of human purpose that makes this kind of story arc possible. It also means that few characters last beyond a single book, so we must become accustomed to new protagonists every volume.

On the other hand, Herbert's penchant for inventing (and only occasionally explaining) a whole new vocabulary of the future made me quite frustrated. Would it be so hard, for example, to explain once and for all what a no-globe is? How about a few sentences of concrete narration about The Scattering? I don't mind a tricky read, but I do mind deliberate obfuscation.

In summation, though, if you've come this far, you're probably going to read Heretics of Dune, and if you're anything like me, you won't be able to quite explain why. Good luck; and yes, this is certainly a better read than God Emperor of Dune.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heretics of Dune.

Patrick I think 'no-globes' are the same as 'no-chambers' intro'd in God Emperor of Dune - I.E. places 'invisible' to prescient human searchers using Melange spice.