Melissa (i swim for oceans)'s Reviews > Tris & Izzie

Tris & Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Sep 09, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: own-arcs, paranormal

Izzie is on top of the world. The only daughter of magical parents, Izzie apparently has inherited absolutely no magical powers, and her life, instead, is one of comfort, luxury and wanting for nothing. She's popular, she's gorgeous, and she has the most athletic guy in school falling all over himself for her. What more could a girl want? But when she and her best friend Branna have a fight, she goes out of her way to set her up with the new boy, Tristan. Unfortunately, Izzie underestimated herself and her place in the world of magic. As her plan backfires and she finds herself falling more in love with Tristan by the day, she must come to terms with her abilities and her new life, or lose it all forever.

Tris and Izzie is touted as the modern retelling of Tristan and Isolde, two ill-fated lovers caught in a deadly and tragic love triangle. So, naturally, my inner sob-story fiend shouted with glee and absolutely had to have this one. Plus, please take note of the stunning cover - haunting, beautiful and breathtakingly romantic, is it not? Mette Ivie Harrison is a renowned author for her ability to spin heartbreakingly lovely romantic tales with ease, all the while captivating the readers with intriguing characters, a great premise and a wonderful follow-through. Tris and Izzie has, by all accounts, all the set-up for a wonderful novel.

Unfortunately, however, I have to be honest and say that Tris and Izzie didn't work for me on many levels. First of all, characterization is key in a remake of a classic. Whether deviating from the original plot or not, should you choose to model the characters after the originals, there should be some semblance of humanity to them. I felt that Izzie, especially, was exceptionally immature. Never once did a get a grasp on any sense of true character from her and, furthermore, she was only hindered further by mere shadows of characters in the supporting cast, including Tris, Mark and Brangane. Honestly, none of them felt real in any way, shape or form. Tris and Izzie also presented a unique challenge with the love story. The classic is a tale of true love which, yes, is a bit of an insta-love scenario. However, Tris and Izzie amps it up yet another notch by adding a love potion that not only created instantaneous true love for Tristan and Izzie, but also obliterated the true love between Mark and Izzie from mere days before. The ultimate and fatal flaw for me with Tris and Izzie was simply that the premise offers us glimmers of magic and the paranormal. However, all facets of those elements felt rushed, thrown about haphazardly and never truly explained. It felt as though Tris and Izzie had elements that could have made for a great book had they been executed better, but they were simply placed in the novel with no true backstory or sense of direction.

I hate giving bad reviews to authors and their books, and I hate to give my readers a review that might leave a sour taste in their mouths, but I have to be honest and say that Tris and Izzie simply did not work for me at all. I give it a 1 out of 5, and I would recommend it to those who enjoy YA and the paranormal who want to make their own decision about this one.

I received this book free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tris & Izzie.