Talia's Reviews > Out of Shadows

Sep 09, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ya-fiction
Read in September, 2011

Robert Jacklin has just moved from England to Zimbabwe shortly after its war for independence in 1983. Robert starts school at a nearby boarding school, but finds that many of his classmates are not in favor of Mugabe or the new country that has formed.

I give this book some props for the interesting topic and the writing. The author does a good job of “showing”, such as the progression of Ivan’s evilness, or other actions in the story. But then the narrative aspect of the story kinda bugged me. The narrator kept ending chapters with sentiments like, “I thought we’d all be ok, but I was wrong”. Yeah yeah yeah. There’s a sense of danger throughout the story that keeps the reader on edge; we don’t need constant “I wasn’t prepared for what happened next” forecasting. There are some parts in the story that are difficult to read,…the author very clearly says in his author’s note: “I went to a boarding school in Zimbabwe, but it was nice! This was not my experience at all!” Right, buddy. You write what you know. The ending was a little over the top too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Shadows.