Robert Berrios's Reviews > How to Breathe Underwater

How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer

M_50x66
Sep 09, 11

As many have attested, it is quite a dark book about some of the worst events in a person's life, such as cancer, drugs, and death of loved ones. Overall however some of the stories do contain nuggets of a positive message about how to deal with these challenges. Many of the stories I could not stop reading and found myself engrossed in her stories, much like a person watching a movie I felt I was able to "be there" during the story. Julie Orringer is able to convey what it is like to be a child or teen quite accurately based on my on personal opinions.
The way the stories worked seemed to change in the second half of the book, it seemed to grow a bit darker and less "hopeful", such as (spoiler alert!) with Care since Terresa resorted back to drugs and Stations at the Cross where they beat Dale together on the cross (spoiler alert!).
Overall the story is by no means perfect, but I found it was an excellent book to get me interested in the idea of shorter stories, and would recomend this to anyone that was hesitant to read such a type of book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Breathe Underwater.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robert Berrios Usually I would not have picked up a book like this, but after reading it for my class, I would suggest this book to any reader.

Kirstin  Northenscold Great thoughts on this, Robert! I'm glad to hear you found the book enjoyable, and that you would recommend it. I totally agree that even the most depressing stories in the collection have, as you said, "nuggets of a positive message." That is a great way to look at these stories. Well done!