Salwa's Reviews > Truth and Beauty

Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett

Sep 09, 11

Recommended for: fans of Ann Patchett, writers
Read in September, 2011

I'm a fan of Ann Patchett (I've ready the Magician's Assistant, Bel Canto, and Run and enjoyed them in that order) and I was looking for something to read the Saturday before Hurricane Irene was supposed to hit NYC. This seemed like a good one since I was in the mood for memoir/essay rather than fiction. At first Ann and Lucy's friendship is so much about writing and Iowa, the first flush of a deep friendship, grad school, and youth. Lovely. Made me want to write again (in a way that was inspiring and not guilt-inducing). Then, their relationship deepens and Ann really has a knack for describing the inner workings of love and it's impossible not to think about your own deep friendships and devotions. Towards the end, though, it was sad and I wished I could have heard more about what Ann's life was like, what Lucy was still offering her through her friendship, basically, what made it worth it. I realize that sometimes history carries friends through the bad times, but this just seemed like a never-ending slew of bad times. Anyway, I just ordered Autobiography of a Face to hear Lucy's side of the story. Good read, I recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truth and Beauty.