Stephen's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Sep 23, 2011

bookshelves: teen-reads, books-read-in-2011, popular-fiction, philosophy, literature, tally-1001-books-list, magical-realism, tally-50-book-list
Read from September 22 to 23, 2011

I'm devastated. I read this book in a single day. I was hooked by the story and loved the childlike wonder of the way Pi looked at the world prior to the ship sinking. And then with the ordeal that followed the book became something more. I was completely sold but started to lose my conviction when Richard Parker goes blind. The encounters that followed that point started to sour me on the story and then in the last 30 pages, even that was explained and to some degree explained.

What I thought was becoming a modern era Jonathan Livingston Seagull went in another direction entirely. I'm an adult and I can appreciate this book for the masterwork that it is but there's a part of me that wishes I'd never read the third part of the story. I could happily chalk the 2nd lifeboat and the island up to delusions.

And isn't that peace of mind part of what religion offers? In my last review I complained that the work I was reviewing didn't have a good finish. That there weren't questions raised that I'd need to ponder for days, weeks and years afterwards. No chance of that here. This book will give me food for thought for a long long time.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been reading reviews on this book for a couple of years now and I cannot make up my mind if I want to read it.

Stephen As I said. It's really very good but it takes on a whole different tenor if you read the third (and final) part

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I may try to get it in January as I am in a slump right now. I have a feeling I might not be able to stop reading it as curiosity might overcome me.

I may be struggling with a little Seasonal Affective Disorder as well as my asthma so more sensitive.

~~~~~~~

Stephen wrote: "As I said. It's really very good but it takes on a whole different tenor if you read the third (and final) part"