Jennifer's Reviews > The Witches

The Witches by Roald Dahl

F_50x66
Sep 08, 11

This book is a 4.7 on the AR reading list. I never thought I'd want to let my kids read this book since I remember my sister being up with nightmares from reading it when we were little. I did watch the movie with my son and daughter a few years ago for a halloween activity with our neighbor, and it was a little scary, but not too bad. The book is slightly more intense than the movie, I'd say... I'm still kind of on the fence about whether to let my daughter read it. I guess they watched the movie at school again recently, and she wanted to read the book. I hate to discourage her, but Roald Dahl can have some really wierd and twisted moments, at least for me.
---On a side note, if you want to expose yourself to some seriously twisted Roald Dahl, try reading a book of short stories he wrote called Skin and other stories. They are so strange, but oddly entertaining!
[image error]

Anyway, back to the Witches.
I don't like some of the spooky disappearances of children described at the beginning of the book by the grandma. I think this is the most likely section to give a child nightmares.
I also don't like the implication at the end of the book that all the people who are turned into mice were chopped up and killed, although I don't have a better idea of how to end things.
Lastly, I don't like how gory the plans are that the grandmother and her grandson make at the end of the book. But again, they want to get rid of witches who are evil, so maybe the gore has a place...
Do you recommend this to your third or fourth grader?? I honestly don't have an answer. I think I'm going to quietly take my copy back to the library and hope that my daughter forgets about if for another year or two. Then maybe she'll be able to handle this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witches.