Christine's Reviews > The Distant Hours

2941914
Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: favorites, have-a-copy, want-to-re-read, 450-plus-pages
Read from October 09 to 14, 2011

A few words about my most recent literary addiction:

Enthralling
Enchanting
Romantic
Mysterious
Haunting

If you like novels with these characteristics, read Kate Morton's novels. I cannot say enough good things about her books and I wholeheartedly recommend them. She never fails to surprise me and I cannot wait until she publishes her next book. Bear in mind that her writing is not of the happy, feel good type. Her stories tend to be dark and creepy and not for the reader who needs a happy ending. There are always bright spots in her books and parts of the plot resolve themselves in a happy way, but overall these novels could best be described as tragic. But, the biggest tragedy of all would be to not lose yourself in these pages.

See more of my reviews at: http://bucklingbookshelves.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Hours.

Quotes Christine Liked

Kate Morton
“I don’t have many friends, not the living, breathing sort at any rate. And I don’t mean that in a sad and lonely way; I’m just not the type of person who accumulates friends or enjoys crowds. I’m good with words, but not spoken kind; I’ve often thought what a marvelous thing it would be if I could only conduct relationships on paper. And I suppose, in a sense, that’s what I do, for I’ve hundreds of the other sort, the friends contained within bindings, pages after glorious pages of ink, stories that unfold the same way every time but never lose their joy, that take me by the hand and lead me through doorways into worlds of great terror and rapturous delight. Exciting, worthy, reliable companions - full of wise counsel, some of them - but sadly ill-equipped to offer the use of a spare bedroom for a month or two.”
Kate Morton, The Distant Hours

Kate Morton
“She says there are stories everywhere and that people who wait for the right one to come along before setting pen to paper end up with very empty pages.”
Kate Morton, The Distant Hours