Janet Frost's Reviews > A Break with Charity: A Story about the Salem Witch Trials

A Break with Charity by Ann Rinaldi

Nov 12, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction-ya
Read from September 08 to November 12, 2011

The Salem witch trials.... What a troubling time in the history of our forefathers. This historical fiction creates a possible explanation for how this viral judgementalism might have started and taken root in the community of Puritan Salem. I do find this a fascinating topic and wonder sometimes if we remember the lessons learned from this episode of our history. We are none of us far from this sad environment as humans.
Overall, I usually enjoy the historical fiction of Ann Rinaldi. I did however, find this one slightly hard to follow the characters. I suppose because in reality it was a small community, many of the players were relatives. So similar names made it difficult to keep track of everybody.
My other issue stems from being rooted in the 21 century. I found the credence given to this group of young troublemaking women unbelievable. Seriously,? the damage from their little game was incredibly far reaching and destructive. How could so many seemingly intelligent adults fall into this nonesense. Maybe it was in the writing that held me back from connecting with the fear and ignorance that allowed an entire community to fall prey to such superstitions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Break with Charity.

09/08/2011 page 50