Kit's Reviews > Immortal: Love Stories With Bite

Dec 01, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: anthology, fantasy, young-adult
Read from August 13 to September 04, 2011

This grouping of tales was a bit more imaginative than some. Not a bad read…

Haunted Love by Cynthia Leitich Smith * * *
While I enjoyed the nostalgia surrounding the old movie theater, this story was a bit odd and a little convoluted. Still, it was an enjoyable read overall and it was an interesting twist on the vampire/ghost crossover.

Amber Smoke by Kristin Cast * * * *
Kristin Cast gets props for her fun concept with the Greek fates and their wayward “son.” The time re-dux was both disorienting (in a good way) and intriguing. This tale was an unexpected pleasure.

Dead Man Stalking by Rachel Caine * *
Unfortunately, I am not a big fan of Rachel Caine’s Morganville Vampires series, including this story. It was interesting to see events from Shane’s point of view (and to see his interaction with his demented father), but the story is just too dark for my tastes.

Table Manners by Tanith Lee * * * *
Tannith Lee explains away many classic vampiric myths using psychobabble in this delightful adventure. The ball setting just enhanced the rip-roaring fun!

Blue Moon by Richelle Mead * * * *
Though I did not enjoy this story as much as Richelle’s Vampire Diaries series, it was still good. The dark nature of her plot (evil vampires running the world) had too sharp of an edge for my liking, but the ending made me hope that she might extend this tale into a full book.

Changed by Nancy Holder * * * *
Nancy Holder’s story was too rough and tragic for me. Also, the spontaneous vampire carnage was never satisfactorily addressed.

Binge by Rachel Vincent * *
A muse and a siren make an interesting pair in this dark and captivating story. More please…

Free by Claudia Gray * * *
Though the concept of an 1800s vampire pursuing a courtesan in New Orleans seems to have some promise, I’m afraid I’m fairly indifferent about the actual story. It wasn’t bad, but I would not have wanted to spend any more time on this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Immortal.