Becca's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Sep 29, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, 5stars, current-favorites, i-books, own, ya-angel, ya-demon, ya-kickass-fict, 2011-release
Read from September 21 to 29, 2011

No. NO. NO! That was my chant as the last page of this book flipped. It can't end!!!! What a world Laini created with this book. Powerful. Inventive..what else can you say beyond that??? I will only state for the record that it's not currently on your TBR list - change that status immediately!

Goodreads summary: "Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky. In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grown dangerously low. And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war. Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages--not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out. When one of the strangers--beautiful, haunted Akiva--fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?"

Impressions: The author gave us mystery, romance, action, humor and characters that beg you to read their story. Karou might be the best MC I've meet this year and that is saying a lot!!! She's a wonderful blend of passion, innocence and intrigue. You won't be able to put this book down until you find out the mystery of who she is, what's the deal with the teeth and how Akiva is wrapped up in her story. The beauty of this story is once you have some of those answers --- it just keeps getting better. Thank you Laini for this fantastically crafted work of art. The only downside to my investment of reading time, money and emotional involvement is the quiet left beyond with the turning of the last page. I don't want their story to end AND even if a sequel is already in the publishing works --- its too far away.

So if you're reading this review and want the buzz achieved after a great book --- Go. Right now and get it!!!!! I double-dog dare you to read it and not feel the same way!
7 likes · Likeflag

09/23/2011 page 20
5.0% "Really inventive....wanna know more...much more..."
09/24/2011 page 85
20.0% "This is quickly becoming my book version of chocolate...addictive,sweet/bitter and hard to put down!"
09/28/2011 page 155
37.0% "Beyond. Good. Wanna know why? Opening page "Once upon a time, an angel and devil fell in love. It did not end well." I dare you to start this bk and put it down. Go on!"

message 1: by Veronica (new) - added it

Veronica Morfi Is it really this good? I need to put it in my to-read list immediately.

Becca Really different fm rest of what i've read in recent memory!!

Katherine ohh i was wondering or not if i should read this, you've convined me :P

Becca thought it was unique and refreshing...hope u enjoy!!!!!