Martha's Reviews > A Monster Calls

Mar 15, 12

bookshelves: connects
Read from March 14 to 15, 2012

I do believe Libba Bray said it best:

Haunting, lyrical, powerful, and true.
Patrick Ness has crafted a masterful story
about grief and loss, love and hope that
lingers in the heart like a ghost.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Quotes Martha Liked

Patrick Ness
“There is not always a good guy. Nor is there always a bad one. Most people are somewhere in between.”

Patrick Ness
Because humans are complicated beasts, the monster said. How can a queen be both a good witch and a bad witch? How can a prince be a murderer and a saviour? How can an apothecary be evil-tempered but right-thinking? How can a parson be wrong-thinking but good-hearted? How can invisible men make themselves more lonely by being seen?

"I don't know," Connor shrugged, exhausted. "Your stories never made any sense to me."

The answer is that it does not matter what you think, the monster said, because your mind will contradict itself a hundred times each day. You wanted her to go at the same time you were desperate for me to save her. Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing the painful truths that make those lies necessary. And your mind will punish you for believing both.

Patrick Ness
But what is a dream, Conor O'Malley? the monster said, bending down so it's face was close to Conor's. Who is to say that it is not everything else that is the dream?

Patrick Ness
Stories are wild creatures, the monster said. When you let them loose, who knows what havoc they might wreak?

Patrick Ness
“Your mind will believe comforting lies while also knowing the painful truths that make those lies necessary. And your mind will punish you for believing both.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Breanna yaaay. :D

Kelly Yes. Yes. Yes.

Kyle This book is just . . . pure genius.

Kyle I'm not sure if Patrick Ness could do any wrong! Did you cry? I almost did the entire final 30 pages.

message 5: by Martha (last edited May 08, 2012 07:39PM) (new) - added it

Martha I didn't cry! I didn't! I just, erm, teared. Difference. (view spoiler)
It was a beautiful book. Conor is an excellently realistic character. Whom I thoroughly enjoyed being in the perspective of.
I loved the metaphorical monster and all of his tales. I was deeply invested with the story in its entirety; I admit that it was quite the polar opposite of what I expected. Not in a negative way, just utterly other.

I also think it paid brilliant tribute to Siobhan Dowd.

message 6: by Martha (new) - added it

Martha P.S. I beg forgiveness for the horrible sentence wherein I finish with a preposition. The shame.

message 7: by Chi-Chi (new)

Chi-Chi A I wanted to share some love but there's no wall here. Hi Martha, hope all is well. <3