Laura's Reviews > Around the World

1351942
Dec 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, graphic-novel, middle-grade
Read in December, 2011

I have to admit that this is not a book that I really wanted to read and it's been sitting around on my shelf for a while. But once I started reading it, I really enjoyed it and read the whole thing in a single sitting.

Phelan begins by describing Jules Verne's basic premise for Around the World in Eighty Days and the describes the journey that three different individuals made. Thomas Stevens travels on his bicycle around the world and describes the people he meets in Europe and Asia. It's an interesting peek into a world that was swiftly changing. Nellie Bly, a saucy and headstrong reporter, decides that she can race around the world in 74 days. She sets off, describing her journey and travels to increasingly interested newspaper readers. And finally, Joshua Slocum sails his 36-foot sloop around the world, the first person to complete the journey alone. Slocum's story addresses the death of his wife and his increasing desire for solitude. Younger readers may have more difficulty connecting with Slocum's story but it's a lovely complement to Stevens and Bly's stories. The graphic novel style is well done and enhanced the story. A great use of panels and text.

Recommended for grades 5 - 7.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Around the World.