Robin's Reviews > Autobiography of a Face

May 23, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, book-club
Read in May, 2008

Since you asked, Caroline... I really appreciated Grealy's ability to get in the mindset of a child, especially one dealing with such trauma. She presented a thoughtful perspective on the medical establishment, and I loved her description of her relationship with visitors as an oft-hospitalized patient. I did think it was disingenuous of her to expect her readers to judge her book by its form and not content, as alluded to in Ann Patchett's afterword (after all, if you're going to put your life out there, people are going to have ideas about it), but perhaps I should let the book stand alone w/o the afterword. Or Patchett's book about her relationship with Grealy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autobiography of a Face.

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Incredible book. Don't forget to review this one - I want to know what you think.

message 2: by Caroline (new)

Caroline I agree about the books standing alone - but I was glad they did include the history of her suicide as I wasn't aware.

And I definitely agree about the childhood voice. It just hurts to read her self loathing teenage logic.