Lexie Graham's Reviews > Before I Go To Sleep

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson

U 50x66
Sep 11, 11

Read in September, 2011

Every morning middle-aged Christine wakes up not knowing who she is or who the man sleeping next to her is. (Remember the movie "Memento"?) When she sleeps she loses her memory. She feels like she should be younger and has a shock every day when she looks in the mirror. Her husband Ben explains who she is and how an accident gave her this unusual amnesia. Christine discovers that she's seeing a neuropsychologist, Dr. Nash, and that her husband doesn't know about it. Christine wants to show progress before getting Ben's hopes up. Dr. Nash gives her a journal, telling her to write in it every day. Christine elects not to show it to Ben, so she picks a place in the house to hide it and tells Dr. Nash where. He calls her every day to tell her where the journal is hidden. She rediscovers herself every day through reading the journal and adds to it, slowly building up a picture of her past. We learn about her life right along with her and follow her current days. The novel is written in present tense, very appropriate for this woman's story as her life is only in the present. Christine becomes increasingly unsettled as some things Ben tells her don't mesh with what she reads in her journal. The novel is suspenseful and takes unexpected turns. An outstanding debut by Watson.(less)
Sep 10, 2011 02:49pm · delete

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Go To Sleep.