Buried In Print's Reviews > The Cat's Table

The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje

Nov 06, 11

bookshelves: canlit, giller-prize, read-in-2011
Read from November 05 to 06, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat's Table.

11/06/2011 page 55
20.0% "I saw his face behind the sentences, imagined his tall body sitting at a humble desk by his small bedroom window, knocking off a chapter about Malgudi before being called by my aunt to do something or other."
11/06/2011 page 75
28.0% ""What is interesting and important happens mostly in secret, in places where there is no power. Nothing much of lasting value ever happens at the head table, held together by a familiar rhetoric. Those who already have power continue to glide along the familiar rut they have made for themselves.""
11/06/2011 page 114
42.0% ""I felt in that moment that I had been alone for years. I had existed too cautiously with my family, as though there had been shards of glass always around us.""
11/06/2011 page 141
52.0% ""I am someone who has a cold heart. If I am beside a great grief I throw barriers up so the loss cannot go too deep or too far. There is a wall instantly in place, and it will not fall.""
11/06/2011 page 169
63.0% ""I suspect that for her the world was more accidental than any book’s plot. Twice I saw her so irritated by a mystery that she half rose from the shadow of her chair and flung the paperback over the railing into the sea.""
11/06/2011 page 181
67.0% ""There is a story, always ahead of you. Barely existing. Only gradually do you attach yourself to it and feed it. You discover the carapace that will contain and test your character. You find in this way the path of your life.""