Genny's Reviews > Hades

Hades by Alexandra Adornetto

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read from September 06 to 10, 2011

Young adult, paranormal, fantasy fiction is quite the genre to be in these days. Barnes and Noble even has a section specifically for this genre of books. As with all genres, there are some that are really good, some that are enjoyable, and some that really are awful. This is one that falls into the really enjoyable/well written category.
I enjoyed the first book of this series, Halo. The second book starts about 6 months following the events in book one. Bethany and Xavier are still going strong; Bethany and her siblings are still working to bring about harmony in the small town of Venus Cove and the surrounding areas. As always, there must be some conflict for our heroine to overcome, some obstacle for our main couple to overcome. Last time around it involved Jake Thorn, a fallen angel, trying to influence the people of Venus Cove. This time, the stakes are higher as Jake has found a way to take Bethany down into Hades.
I was curious how this author was going to keep the story flowing, with the voice of the story (since this is written in the 1st person of Bethany) and she was stuck in Hades. But with a slight plot device that moved along another secondary character, we are able to still see what is occurring back in Venus Cove as those left behind are working to save Bethany.
Ultimately, this series is about the battle between good/evil, heaven/hell, and angels/demons. What I like about this series is that while it has a religious theme, it is not preachy. It uses the history of angels/demons as the setting, but not as a platform to preach to me. The characters are intriguing, leaving me wanting to know more of their history, which is doled in small doses. Enough to satisfy the reader, but not so much that it detracts from the flow of the book.
Some parts a bit choppy, feel a little forced, such as when Molly finds out the truth about Bethany's family and her inclusion on the journey to rescue her. In fact, once the actual rescue happens, Molly seems to be forgotten, fading into the background. At times, Bethany seems almost too innocent, too naïve, that it is hard to remember that she is actually an angel, sent to Earth to save the people from a growing sense of evil/discord.
While Bethany continues to be slightly naive, but this time we saw her start to find her own strength, to fight back once she fully grasps the situation in Hades with Jake, and to make decisions on her own, without expecting others to tell her what to do. It seems that her character is more than just the voice/half a love story, but that her role is becoming more defined for the coming battle looming between heaven and hell.
I am looking forward to the next book in this series, which I anticipate will bring about the final battle and the culmination of not only the love story between Bethany and Xavier, but that of many of the secondary characters as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hades.