Jennifer's Reviews > Wayfinder

Wayfinder by C.E. Murphy

Sep 08, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary, ebook, earcs, fantasy, paranormal
Read from September 08 to 10, 2011

I rushed out to pick up Truthseeker when I found out I was approved to get Wayfinder from Netgalley. Both are quick reads, quick enough that I questioned the (probably marketing) decision to split the books into two. But at least the split is in a natural place, not leaving a horrible cliffhanger dangling for those readers who had to wait between books. I suppose one reason the books were split is because Wayfinder takes place mainly in the lands of the Fae, whereas Truthseeker took place in our world.

Lara is a likable heroine, even with her lack of humor due to her truth-sensing abilities. But as she comes into her power, she learns to fudge the truth, letting the music of truth become just a little discordant. As the Fae are masters of dancing along the thin line between true and lie, it's natural that they would need a truthseeker to find out what exactly caused the rift between Seelie and Unseelie. Some of the twists in Wayfinder were a little out there, but for the most part the writing flowed well. The author portrayed the MC's way of perceiving the truth very clearly, and with beautiful language. I could almost hear the truth in my head, as if a symphony were playing along as I read. Little things, like how Lara's job as a tailor, are described in as much detail as the new worlds in which Lara walks, and that made the story that much more real.

This book falls squarely in the fantasy romance category, though it's not a paranormal romance. The characters aren't randomly falling into bed with each other in the heat of the moment just because there happens to be magic in the world. Thank goodness! There is certainly romance between the main protagonists, and love (or lack thereof) informs a lot of choices made in the story. It's also a romance, because there's a happy ending, even after some hard decisions have to be made. Sometimes I felt a little surprised at how characters chose to act, and I didn't always feel that the bad guy was behaving as he is characterized, but on the whole the writing is good and moved along at a nice pace. I've liked other books this author has written, and will probably go back and read more of the series I've missed.

I received this book as a free digital ARC from Netgalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wayfinder.

09/09/2011 page 98