Elizabeth (Liz)'s Reviews > Flat-Out Love

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park

Dec 20, 11

bookshelves: ebook-read, favorites, ya-new-adult-read, 5-star-reads
Read from September 09 to 10, 2011

Goodreads asks me, 'What did you think?'. How in the world do I appropriately, adequately, answer that question with regard to Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park?! I'm certainly no author; I'm not even a 'real' reviewer. So, how do I put into words just how much I love this story and admire the talent and sheer genius of Jessica Park?

I don't do plot summaries, as should be more than evident by now. It's easy enough to read the summary and decide for yourself if this sounds like something that might interest you. There's really no way I could do this plot justice anyway. I will say, briefly, that this story is about a family's pain and absolutely essential emotional growth. A young woman is introduced into this family, and becomes the catalyst for their re-emergence into the living world...painful as that may be. However, for all that this sounds like there could be no other option but for this story to be deep and dark and painful? It is just the opposite. It is intelligent, witty, strange, loving, dysfunctional, forgiving, accepting, understanding, and, ultimately, joyful. The characters are growing and becoming whole again, as you laugh and nod and think, 'No! Really?!'. Yes, really. Even if you, early on, guess the family's 'secret', as I did, you literally can. not. stop. reading. Jessica Park captures your attention from the beginning, and never lets it go, until the very end. And, by then, you're thinking, 'What?! It's over??'. We're advised so often to appreciate the journey. With this book, you do. You absolutely do.

I cannot recommend this story highly enough. It is, without a doubt, a new favorite of mine, and, for me, an unequivocal 5-star read!!! Thoroughly unique and enjoyable! Do not miss this!
52 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flat-Out Love.

09/09/2011 page 200
50.0% "This story is absolutely fascinating, and I. Cannot. Stop. Reading. I need to try and sleep, but I can't until I know what's going on! I *think* I know.......but, what if I actually don't?!?!"

Karla Wow...this sounds good. This one gets great reviews!

Elizabeth (Liz) Karla - I actually fell asleep reading this:) I'm pretty sure I've been right about the family's 'secret'. But, now, I just have to know how it's all going to turn out! It's a really compelling story, I have to say. It's well-written, and the dialogue is intelligent and witty. Very different from anything I've read in a long time. I just hope the 'big reveal' isn't a let-down, and that the author can still manage to surprise me. I don't ask for much;) For now, back to the story......

Karla I downloaded a sample, but I will wait for your review before I buy it! Enjoy.

Elizabeth (Liz) Karla - I can't possibly review this with any kind of coherence or intelligence. Nothing like it deserves. But, read it. I promise. It's worth it:)

Karla Okay...you sold me. I will buy it and read it. I think it was only $4, but from what you're saying it sounds priceless!

Anne OK It was a superb review! I'm hooked and on my way over to Amazon to download and start reading this weekend. Thanks for the convincing recommendation.

Karla I bought it. It averages 5 stars over on Amazon. So unusual for a book to get such high marks all over the place. Thanks!

Elizabeth (Liz) Thanks, AnneOK!! I really hope you enjoy it! I just couldn't stop reading it! I adore the character of Celeste. Amazing, emotional transformation!

Elizabeth (Liz) Karla - I hope you enjoy it!!

Katie Wow, really that good hey? I can't deny you. I've got a weekend reading list already planned but this is on my short Amazon wish list.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* thanks for the recommend Elizabeth..it looks good! But I dont have a Kindle reader..and its not in paperback :(

message 12: by Vicki (new) - added it

Vicki Great review,it's definitely going to be a must read for me! :)

Katie Sandi - You can download kindle for PC for free. It is not ideal to read a book on the computer but it works.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Katie wrote: "Sandi - You can download kindle for PC for free. It is not ideal to read a book on the computer but it works."

Thanks Katie I have tried that..and unless its a short book..its a killer on the back and..*ahem* bum after awhile..III see if Kobo has it, that touch reader I do have,but its limited to what I can get:(

Karla Superb review!! It's as 'real' a review as I've ever read. You certainly sold me on it!

message 16: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Walton Grant Great review, Elizabeth, and thanks for the rec -- I've added it, and look forward to reading it. :)

Katie I caved and after I read the sample I had to keep going and now I've put aside what I was reading and chose this instead. I am only about a dozen chapters in but I'm worried I have the big "secret" figured out already. I hope not because what I think it is, is going to break my heart when I get to that part.

Elizabeth (Liz) Sandi - Sorry about that!! I should think about that before I rec to everyone. She has several other books that are in paperback version, and I didn't check to make sure this one was as well. Sigh. That'll teach me:):) I use the Kindle app for iPhone to read a lot of ebooks, like this one. I wish they would let me share books through the app, but they don't. Apologies again! I'm sure there are others I rec'd this to who are in the same boat. My enthusiasm got the best of me:)

Elizabeth (Liz) Thanks, you guys, for the kind words, and I hope those that are able to read it, and do, enjoy it!! It's unique, that's for sure;)

Elizabeth (Liz) Katie - I know:( BUT, the author handles it pretty well. And, you come to care so much for the characters. I was just rooting for each of them by the end. Celeste is unforgettable, to me. Oh, I hope you enjoy it once you've finished:)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Thats ok Elizabeth..its nice you thought of me to give a recommend,I always love those:)

message 22: by Wendy (last edited Sep 10, 2011 09:17PM) (new) - added it

Wendy Great review and thanks for the rec, Eliz! Sounds like an awesome read. Going to have to give a go too ;)

Karla Thank you Elizabeth!!!

Elizabeth (Liz) OMG, Jessica!! I had no idea you had commented! Goodreads is *so* inconsistent with notifications! Grrr!! Of course you can quote me, anything you like. I *adore* this story, and I'm trying to spread the word myself! I feel just *awful* that I didn't see your comment until now!!!

Elizabeth (Liz) Well, you're very welcome!! But, truthfully, thank *you* for writing this story.

I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a story quite this much, in quite the same way. It so thoroughly touched me on a number of levels. That type of reading experience is rare, and it's the best kind. It's why we read, I think.

Now, I'll wait ever-so patiently for your next book;-)

Elizabeth (Liz) Jessica wrote: "Well, I'm on Chapter 2 of the next one. Ahem. So it might be a little while... But it's another romance with college-age characters. A bit more "adult" than FOL in terms of the romance, but I'm aim..."

That sounds wonderful, and I can't wait to read it! No pressure;) Best of luck to you!

Splage SO good to hear your review, since I just bought this. Can't wait!

Elizabeth (Liz) I'm so glad you bought it, Splage!! I do hope you enjoy it even half as much as I did! It is so unique, quirky, and (for me) unforgettable!

Karla Splage wrote: "SO good to hear your review, since I just bought this. Can't wait!"

This is a great book, and Elizabeth did it justice with a great review. You will love it!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Beautiful and heartfelt review, Elizabeth!

Elizabeth (Liz) Baba wrote: "Beautiful and heartfelt review, Elizabeth!"

Thanks, Baba:) I wrote it a while back and hadn't looked at it in a while. I reread it last night because of a comment someone made, and I noticed I had several typos. Drives. Me. Crazy;) So, I had to fix it, naturally:) Hopefully I caught it all this time:)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Elizabeth wrote: "Baba wrote: "Beautiful and heartfelt review, Elizabeth!"

Oh, Elizabeth, no worries! Since English is not my mother tongue I wouldn't notice every little fault. :D

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Wonderful, heartfelt review, Elizabeth! I heard from Karla that you are the one responsible for recommending this book to Karla who then kindly led me to it. So I want to thank you, too, for the part you played in leading me to this wonderful book. I truly loved it! It really touched me and captivated me in a way I can't truly explain.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Jessica wrote: "Well, I'm on Chapter 2 of the next one. Ahem. So it might be a little while... But it's another romance with college-age characters. A bit more "adult" than FOL in terms of the romance, but I'm aiming for a balance of humor, romance, deeper issues, etc. I bit off a lot with this plot, but hopefully it'll come together!"

Oh, I'm so excited!! All the best with the writing, Jessica, and I'm looking forward to it!! ^_^

Elizabeth (Liz) Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Wonderful, heartfelt review, Elizabeth! I heard from Karla that you are the one responsible for recommending this book to Karla who then kindly led me to it. So I want to thank you, too, for the pa..."

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Elizabeth wrote: "Awwww, Jaynie, I'm SO glad you loved it!!! It's one of my favorites of all time now. Hugs!! E "

I did, I really did and haven't been able to get into another book just yet. This one is still on my mind. *Hugs*

Tricia I just wanted to say thanks. I have not read this boom yet but I definitely will now. I just really liked the way you wrote your review. Usually before I purchase a new book I like to read the synopsis and then proceed to the customer reviews to get an idea of what other people thought about it. More often than not I have to steer my eyes away because people like to relay the entire plot. I thought you did a lovely job of recommending this book without giving everything away in the process!