Phanee's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Nov 02, 11

bookshelves: owned, read-in-2011
Read from September 07 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

Rating: 8/10

When I bought this book, I had never heard of Kazuo Ishiguro. It just happened that one day, when I went to my local bookshop, they had just brought some new books in and this one was one of them. I read the description on the back cover, decided to buy it and when I got home put it away on my bookshelf. It stayed up there for quite some time (except for that one time when I decided to give it a try, opened the book up, saw the tiny font and decided to leave it) and the main reason I decided to finally read it was because my brother read it while we were on holiday in England and actually enjoyed it very much (and read it much faster than he thought he would).

Never Let Me Go tells the story of three people whose lives are closely interconnected: Kathy, Ruth and Tommy. As children, all three were students at an exclusive boarding school called Hailsham, a place of certain notoriety and mysterious rules, where every student is encouraged to be creative and is constantly reminded of how special he/she is. Told from Kathy's viewpoint, we get to experience everyone - and especially Ruth and Tommy - through her own eyes. All the story is a narration, with Kathy telling her story in chronological order - starting with their being students at Hailsham and ending with her being where she is at the moment.

The whole world described in this book is rather surreal. And what makes it even more surreal is the way in which it is described by Kathy. Her tone - as well as that can be inferred from the story - is just normal; as if she's just recounting something acceptable and non-condemnable. The story doesn't start out as very engaging. It's just a narration of sorts, referring to the three characters' childhood years. And then, you start to notice that word popping up, too often for it to be insignificant. "Donor". You start to wonder if what you are thinking could possible be the case and if so, then what kind of a sick book is this. And you read on and on, wanting to make sure that you have understood correctly.

Never in the book is exactly what happens and what everything means mentioned in a straightforward way. The author kind-of beats around the bush and lets your mind do the talking and the figuring out, which was one of the things I loved the most about this book. Another thing I loved were the characters. Even though I wasn't a big fan of Ruth and the way she behaved towards everyone else (and especially Kathy), all characters were excellently developed and with great depth.

All in all, if you have not read Never Let Me Go, I urge you to do so. Even if it looks like too much of a heavy read, I assure you it's not. And I don't think you will regret giving it a try.

Originally posted on funny wool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.

09/09/2011 page 144

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Courini how are you liking this one? My yiayia has it, I think!

Phanee Korina, einai para poly kalogrammeno! Einai arketa argi san istoria, alla einai toso efkolo na to diavaseis! I ekdosi pou exw einai arketa pyknotypwmeni k to eixa parei apo fovo arxika (oti tha mou parei poly xrono na to diavasw), alla kamia sxesi!
Na to diavaseis! To synistw anepifylakta! (Sta agglika fysika! Dn kserw pws einai i elliniki metafrasi, an k synithws dn einai poly kales)