Rebecca's Reviews > The Wings of the Dove

The Wings of the Dove by Henry James

May 19, 08

Read in May, 2008

I am in love with Henry James. Every sentence makes you stop, pore, and muse! The book is 500 pages. I wish it were a million....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wings of the Dove.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jimmy (last edited Apr 02, 2009 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jimmy I so appreciated Rebecca's unabashed enthusiasm. And for "difficult" Henry James, no less. In four short sentences she captures the joy of reading James.

message 2: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito That, or she captured the joy of sarcasm. It's hard to tell.

message 3: by Jimmy (last edited Sep 27, 2009 09:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jimmy For a second I thought you may be right -- and I felt gullible and stupid. Her words can certainly be read that way --- especially since they concern HJ. Then I perused Rebecca's other reviews, almost all of which are earnest and direct. So, I'm gonna assume that her "Wings" review is also meant sincerely.
In which case -- perhaps you have trouble dealing with unabashed enthusiasm, so you search for the sarcasm, even when it doesn't exist!
(We should consult with Rebecca to get to the bottom of this.)
(Yours sincerely, Dr.Freud)

message 4: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito What?? Your unsolicited analysis of me is clearly rooted in a desire to possess your own mother!

Jimmy Oh no! One more thing to worry about! And on Yom Kippur, no less.

Jimmy Meanwhile -- don't you agree that Rebecca does not have a sarcastic bone in her body? Read her reviews---then weigh in (with some knowledge and background this time)

message 7: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito I don't see any sarcasm.

Jimmy Me neither. So -- back to the Henry James review: Sarcastic or in earnest?

message 9: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito In earnest, apparently.

Rebecca Thank you both, Josh and Jimmy, for reading my reviews so closely and carefully! :) I was indeed earnest in my review of Henry James! I have my sarcastic moments but not usually over my earnest and nerdy love of literature. I'm an English teacher, so it goes with the territory, I suppose....

message 11: by Don Incognito (new)

Don Incognito I love Henry James too, although I've read only The Portrait of a Lady, Watch and Ward, The Turn of the Screw, and several short stories (Daisy Miller, Last of the Valerii, The Real Thing). I was paying attention to the reviews of The Wings of the Dove because it's on my reading list. So is Roderick Hudson.