Dania's Reviews > In Perfect Light

In Perfect Light by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

Sep 23, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read from September 08 to 10, 2011

In Perfect Light is a novel about a young man named Andres whose life drastically changes after seeing his therapist, Grace Delgado. He's had to see a therapist several times, but finds it useless. He does not believe seeing Grace will help him. David, his lawyer- now for several cases- has made it possible for Andres to stay out of jail and keep seeing Grace. David knows Andres's struggled a lot after his parents died when he was 10. Grace develops empathy towards Andres, for he reminds her of her son, Mister. Mister is married to Liz and is trying to adopt a little boy. The relationship between Mister and Grace isn't the best; they argue for most things, especially Liz.
I absolutely loved this book. When first reading it, I was little confused because the narrators switched, but after reading further I found it impossible to stop reading. It plays with your emotions, and I felt I could connect to all the characters at some point in the book. For example, since this story is mostly taking place in El Paso and Juarez I understand the struggle Andres faced when moving countries. I also liked the theme of the book: to not give up even if you think you've been stepped on enough. In the midst of reading this book I found myself thinking of The Kite Runner. Both main characters, Amir and Andres, found that they could make their life better even after all of the tragedies they've faced
I'd recommend this book to anyone who's interested in modern problems that are not usually discussed such as child prostitution. I’d also recommend this book to anyone who likes to learn about other cultures, but most importantly I’d recommend this book to those who can handle disappointing endings. This is one of the most interesting novels I have read, and one of my favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Perfect Light.

Danielle Dania,
I love your review of this book...you made it sound very intriguing to readers but didn't give away too much about the plot! I'm so happy you shared my love for this book.

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Thank you, Dania

message 3: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Simental Sounds like an awesome book, i really want to read it now. Great job Dania.!=)