Kira Fisher's Reviews > The Snowman

The Snowman by Jo Nesbø

Sep 08, 11

bookshelves: ilistenedtoyou
Read in August, 2011

I listened to this on the drive from LA to San Francisco, up I-5, which people familiar with this route will know is mind-meltingly boring.

This book kept me alert, entertained, excited and a little nervous the whole way home, which is a success as far as my standards are concerned. In addition, I actually really enjoyed the characters, and was very excited to realize that it's part of a series about the main character, hard-boiled police detective Harry Hole. I am looking forward to listening to more books in the series on my endless trips to and from the Bay Area.

Lastly, at the risk of opening myself up to endless discussion over how wrong I am in this opinion, I want to say I liked this book way more than I liked the Millennium Cycle, by Stieg Larssen. (Larson? Larsson? Whatever. You know what I mean. The Girl Who books.) I'm generally a fan of Scandinavian fiction anyway, but I never really gave a crap about any of the characters in the Steig What's-his-name books. I liked Lisbeth Salander, but the payoff at the end of the books was never worth all the annoying exposition. I just wasn't ever invested in the well-being of those characters, even after 3 books. I liked all the main characters in this one book more than I liked all the characters of the Millennium Cycle put together. It was just a much more satisfying read. I wasn't surprised by the big reveal, but that didn't even bother me.

Anyway, I liked it a lot and I'm looking forward to reading more by this guy.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snowman.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

shel b listened to it on my commute for work.now don't know what to do with myself since returning it to the library. listen to music? but i want more Harry! :)