Caroline's Reviews > Anne Boleyn: A New Life of England's Tragic Queen

Anne Boleyn by Joanna Denny

F_50x66
Oct 05, 11

Read from September 08 to October 04, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I have always been a firm defender of Anne Boleyn. I never once believed in the terrible things that were said about her to discredit Elizabeth's right to the throne. Anne Boleyn was the innocent victim of the intrigues of her time. That being said, I also don't believe that she was the saint that Denny made her out to be. Denny is the one who states that she was raised and educated to be enter into an advantageous marriage that would benefit her family. She had seen how Margaret of Austria was the head of power at her own court, and how Queen Claude of France was used as human incubator by King Francis. And yet, the only thing that she wanted as queen was to lead England from Catholicism? I don't think so. She was offered the greatest marriage of all and she was only interested in religion? No. I do believe that she was a reformer and reforming England was on her agenda, but she was intelligent and charming; there was more to her than religion. She was musical and well read and knew how to handle herself in politics. While Denny's attempts to change her reputation were admirable, she went too far. Denny made her a saint and while Anne Boleyn was innocent of the charges she was killed for, she wasn't perfect. She was human. I wish that Denny had tried to find the human in the maligned reputation of Anne Boleyn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne Boleyn.