Katelyn (Tales of Books and Bands)'s Reviews > Changing My Wardrobe

Changing My Wardrobe by Deb Hanrahan

Nov 01, 11

bookshelves: own, read-in-2011, signed, review-books, 3-stars, young-adult, missing-from-shelf
Read from October 08 to 11, 2011

I knew before reading this book that it would be something that I wanted to share with my younger sisters. Even though I had a few issues with this book, for the most part, the main story line was great and something that needs to be covered more in YA books.

First I will start off with what I didn’t like about this book, the main character and the dialogue between the characters. As much as I had in common with the main character Lindsey, I found her extremely hard to connect with. I was part of National Honor Society, I am the older sister, I have had crushes, and I have had moments where I just wanted, needed a change. It would make an incredible amount of sense if I could connect and feel something towards this character, however, there was something about her that didn’t sit well with me. She is meant to come off as a smart girl with a good head on her shoulders, which she totally is but her personality felt completely flat. Her thoughts, feelings, and even the conversations she had with other characters was just lacking something. She obviously loved her friend, Teeny dearly (and I did too but I will get to that in a moment) but the thoughts she had about other characters seemed harsh and rather snotty. When she thought about her oddball friend, Jocelyn, I couldn’t believe how resentful she was! So without the connection of the main character, it was hard to truly LOVE this story. Also, the dialogue between the characters was a bit awkward. Most of it flowed nicely but some of what they said to each other kind of made me scratch my head in confusion. The dialogue wasn’t terrible, I have definitely read much worse, but it just didn’t seem all that genuine. Even those I had these few issues with the book,there were a few positives that I really liked!

Lindsey’s best friend, Teeny was remarkable! In fact, I think Teeny could have just stole the spotlight on more than one occasion in this book. Her personality was charming, fun, quirky, and original. She brought a certain brightness to this story exactly when we needed it. Had the book been from her point of view, there is no doubt I would have enjoyed it a bit more. She was so fun to read about!

Another part that I loved about the book was the topic that it revolved around, bullying. We see the victim’s side of bullying in this heartbreaking story. I can honestly say that even though I wanted to read this book to gain a better understanding, it made me extremely sad. At first the bullying is merely an afterthought in the story. We are just seeing how Lindsey interacts with her friends, family, and crush as she happens to hear a few random, hurtful comments from a girl in class. However, about midway through the story, the bullying that Lindsey and her friends start receiving begins to escalate at an alarming rate. The bullying in this story is not the physical kind. It is name calling, reputation ruining, cyber bullying. This type of bullying can be so harmful to so many people and I really commend Deb for tackling such a tough subject. I have seen first hand just how painful and damaging a mean text message can be. Or when an inappropriate picture of you is spread around to everyone, that can just ruin someone. It is not an easy subject to talk about, it can be very painful, but Deb really did a good job at it.

Yes, there were some things I didn’t like about this book, but in the end there is still a great lesson to be learned from Changing My Wardrobe!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changing My Wardrobe.

10/09/2011 page 10