A.M.'s Reviews > Rebecca

Oct 17, 11

bookshelves: classics, fiction
Recommended to A.M. by: Jessica
Read in October, 2011

While the premise is interesting, the protagonist is unbelievably stupid. Her naiveté is very hard to swallow and her passive, eager-to-please behaviour quickly becomes frustrating. And the male lead inspires no emotion whatsoever other than mild disgust and pity, making their relationship stilted.

It does have the appeal of a slow-motion car crash and could be almost gripping in that sense, but the very slow pacing disappoints.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Can I just say, I'm happy to finally see someone *not* raving over this book in the blogosphere, lol.

A.M. Ha! I was actually going to write a full out review, but couldn't bring myself to do so.

I have to say that the plot itself was interesting, but I found the beginning very slow and difficult to get into.

Not to mention that the main character was just too stupid to live - I know she's supposed to be innocent and naive, but it was to an extent that I found hard to swallow. Especially if you consider that she's an orphan, as you'd think her difficult life would have made her grow up faster.

Rant over. :-P

What did you not like about it?