Katlyn Campbell's Reviews > A Sick Day for Amos McGee

F_50x66
Sep 08, 11

Read on September 08, 2011

1. Genre: Contemporary Picture Book
2. Summary: Amos McGee is a zoo keeper who makes friends with all of the animals. Every day they talk, play games, and have fun. When Amos can’t make it to work one day because he’s sick the animals surprise him with a get well visit at his home.
3. Critique:
a. I really enjoy several things about this book. I love the illustrations, the story itself, and the friendly nature of all the characters—especially the animals. I think hearing and seeing the animals in the book made it especially great.
b. The actions, illustrations, and dialogue of the animals in this book made it unique, interesting, and fun to read. Seeing what great friends they were to Amos, although they were animals, is something I believe that children would especially enjoy. The animal’s role in this book teach children to love animals, use their imagination, and value all friendships.
c. On one page Amos is lying sick in bed trying to sleep when he wakes up from a sneeze. The animals are all there waiting to make him feel better. “ Ah-choo! Amos awoke with a sneeze . The rhinoceros was ready with a handkerchief.”
4. Curriculum Connection: This book could be used in the Literature content area to discuss Anthropomorphism and personification. It could also be used in the History content area to discuss several areas of civics.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Sick Day for Amos McGee.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue This book won a Caldecott - how do you think the illustrations work to convey the warm, friendly tone of this book?