Junaida jacobsen's Reviews > The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century

The Next 100 Years by George Friedman

Sep 17, 11

Read from September 08 to 17, 2011

An america-centric forecast of the world in the 21st century - makes for an almost convincing read as George Friedman supports his argument with various facts from the past few centuries. My main issue with the book is that the author failed to recognise or belittled the fact that the modern day warfare is no longer built on the strength of its naval presence unlike the previous century - he did not acknowledge that america, far from continuing to be a superpower of the 21st century, can be weaken by religious/racial terrorism (the new form of warfare) and internal politics, therefore, a seemingly docile government may not be an enemy of another but a concerted effort from a group of like-minded people can act cohesively and threaten a nation - the jihadist movement is our current point of reference. At times, the book rambles on too much on geopolitics and placed excessive emphasize on a country's physical boundaries but i strongly feel that the future before us will see nations being dominated via political pressure, 'foreign-government 'aid' in times of crisis and via the presences of large corporation that can control a nation's sovereignty via its economic investments/withdrawals. Nevertheless, the book raises some interesting points of view. I would love to see a documentary version of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next 100 Years.