Jo's Reviews > Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

"I don't believe I'd really want to be a sensible person, because they are so unromantic."

A series of letters.

Dear Jo (aged 11),
Get off The Sims and pick up a copy of Anne of Green Gables and read it now. It will change your life.
Best wishes,
Jo (aged 22)

Dear Ms Montgomery,
I would like to take your beautiful prose and drape it over the washing line in my back garden to create a mystical den that only I and my friends may enter.
Who would I have to talk to for this to happen?
J.W

Dear Anne,
I now understand completely why so many young girls (and some not so young girls!) have fallen in love with you over the years.
You are simply marvellous and, even though I’m late to the party, you are making me feel like the guest of honour.
I wish I had met you when I was younger so you could have taught me that it was OK to get lost in daydreams and not feel shy about looking at things a bit differently than other people.
Because you and I and the rest of our kindred spirits really do have the best view.
Lots of love,
Jo.

Gilbert- Just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I have a feeling that we’re going to get on splendidly in the future. Oh and I’d never crush your candied heart under my foot, though I’d probably just eat it. - J

Dear Manchester,
It has come to my attention that there are places in this world that are not rife with gangs of delinquents in hoodies, canals brimming with shopping trollies and boys who think it’s acceptable to wear jeggings.
There is a place in this world where a “myriad of bees” hums over orchards with “a bridal flush of pinky-white bloom” and where brooks are heard laughing under the ice. You will not find sullen commuters who think it’s courteous to steal the last Metro in the morning. This is a place where you can drift “luxuriously out on a sea of daydreams” and eat plum pudding instead of a Greggs pasty and where “days slip[ped] by like golden beads on the necklace of the year.”
This place has scope for imagination. (And it also has seasons other than ‘Grim’)
And this place is called Prince Edward’s Island.
Consider this your first warning, Manchester. If you don’t buck up your ideas, you will find yourself less one Mancunian.
Yours Faithfully,
J. Williams.

Dear Boys who worked in the cocktail bar at Bangor SU about a year and a half ago,
Remember my 21st birthday?
That wasn’t raspberry cordial …. Was it?

- A former student who would like to remain anonymous.
31 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of Green Gables.

09/08/2011 page 34
11.0% ""I'm in the depths of despair!" Hahahaa. I think Anne could match me in the drama stakes." 6 comments
09/08/2011 page 138
43.0% ""Isn't it good just to be alive on a day like this? I pity people who aren't born yet for missing it. They may have good days, of course, but they can never have this one."" 7 comments
09/09/2011 page 291
91.0% ""Don't give up all your romance, Anne," he whispered shyly, "a little of it is a good thing- not too much, of course- but keep a little of it, Anne, keep a little of it."" 3 comments

message 1: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Readalong with Flann. :-D

Catie YES. Man I am such a stalker this week. Can you blame me? You keep picking up all my favorite books! Just wait until you see what I'm starting today though. Dun dun dun!

message 3: by Jo (last edited Sep 08, 2011 06:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo I woke up with a funny feeling in my tummy.

I think you're going to meet Mr de Winter today, are you not?

:-D
SO HAPPY.

I'm going to start Jamaica Inn this weekend.

Catie My library has that one on audio!

I am just going to pretend that I didn't plan a readalong in full view of everyone on goodreads, so that I can assume you have psychic powers.

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Me and de Winter have a connection.

I know when other women are making their move.

*narrows eyes*

Seriously though, I hope you like it. It's such a gorgeous book... and creeeeepycreepy.

Catie I promise not to get too handsy with de Winter if you will be respectful to my dear Gilbert. Deal?

message 7: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Done and done.

I am excited to meet Gilbert. Is he a Bringer of the Swoon or is he more 'I want to go on adventures with him and then kiss him passionately in a field and/or a barn?

Catie No, in this book he's a young, immature, but sweet kid. Definitely not too heavy on the swoon...this first book isn't really about romance.

But you'll get to meet Diana!! Oh, I just want to toss this book I'm currently reading aside and go get Anne. My copy is so battered it's almost falling apart.

message 9: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo "Have you ever noticed what cheerful things brooks are?They're always laughing. Even in the wintertime I've heard them under the ice."

Sigh.
*looks around*

*crawls into book*

Much better. :)

Catie I love Anne. And I love how LM Montgomery celebrates her oddities and dramatic flair, but also makes fun of her for it sometimes.

message 11: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo FIRST GILBERT BLYTHE MENTION.
*sounds the conch shell*

"aw'fly handsome" eh?
"I've heard him say he studied the multiplication by her freckles"
LOL... he'd be able to learn bloody long division off mine.

Catie Huzzah!!!

You've now been initiated into the GB appreciators society.

You are appreciating him, right? RIGHT?!

message 13: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo I've not officially met him yet.

But yes. I am.

Not in the way you appreciate him... because he is still eleven or so here.

But I'm thinking time will change that..

Catie Oh, eleven. Poo on that.

Listen, Gil. I've been singing your praises for months and months (nay, YEARS) and I have a lot riding on this first impression with my friend Jo here. So please, please, just don't do anything rash. Keep your temper in check. No name calling. Seriously.

LOL.

Just FYI, in a recent interview, Melina Marchetta said that she uses the first Anne/Gilbert interaction scene as an inspiration for a scene in almost every one of her books. Get ready!

message 15: by Jo (last edited Sep 08, 2011 04:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo LOL. Oh Catie, I love you.

Just met him. It's officially official.

LOVELOVELOVELOVE.
Although... he's mean. But LOVELOVELOVE.

"As for Gilbert Blythe, she would not even look at him. She would never look at him again! She would never speak to him again!"

Hm. Won't you, Anne? WON'T YOU?!

Oh and he's 14... which isn't much better.
*waits patiently until he becomes 19+*

Catie AH, poor Gil. He'll be paying for that little mistake for years.

I feel like this romance (and P&P probably) has been the basis for so many copycat romances since it was printed. No one can ever match up to the original.

message 17: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo The whole guy and girl get off on the wrong foot but eventually fall for each other?

Yes. Ms Austen has a lot to answer for that.
(view spoiler)

Hahaha ohhh, she just crushed his heart. Literally... and figuratively.

Man, I need to sort my body clock out. Or stop reading books that keep me up past my bed time.

message 18: by Catie (last edited Sep 08, 2011 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Catie It's me. I've been sending psychic waves over to reconfigure your brain to Eastern Standard Time. Who's got psychic powers now?

Yes, I've seen you mention your dirty little secret before. Weirdo. It's a valid opinion.

Haha, I love that part with the heart.

message 19: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo I really want some love hearts now.
FOR BREAKFAST.
I went on a school trip to a building site (not kidding) once and my friend and I did about two rolls of them each.
We were practically foaming at the mouth when they got the hard hats out.

Haha... I just don't like it. But I'm not an angry hater. Partly because I would get stabbed if I voiced my opinion too loudly.
My best friend is possibly the biggest JA fan in the entire world and her P&P mug remained intact for the whole 3 years I lived with her. :)

And actually a notecard that she sent me with Mr Darcy on is stuck on my wardrobe. So I'm not a complete demon.

message 20: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Oh crumbs!
Catie, I can see why you are so enamoured with this raspberry cordial.
(view spoiler)
Lolling all over myself right now.

Catie Haha, that's okay. I forgive you. ;D

Hopefully you can forgive me for hating Ethan Frome. *Ducks*

Poor Anne gets into so many scrapes.

message 22: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo I've never read that! So I might dislike it too.

As long as it isn't House of Mirth and The Age of Innocence...

;)

Catie Phew.

It's actually the only one of hers that I HAVE read. It was quite a turn off...

Maybe I just didn't get it.

I actually own The Age of Innocence so I should really give it a try sometime.

message 24: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo I think if someone was holding my arm behind my back and asking what my favourite book EVER was I would have to say TAoI.
I just love everything about it. It's so tragic AND set in New York AND it's in the 1920s.

Yesyesyes.

message 25: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Jeez louise, C-Dawg.. you could have warned me. (view spoiler)
BUT YAY for G & A hand holding and the start of some major SWOON.

Catie C-Dawg?

I know, sorry :( *Sniff sniff* That's such a sad part. So...when are you starting the second one? :D

Apparently it's been raining so much lately that Prince William County felt the need to cancel school. FOR THE RAIN. Seriously.

So, I am just now getting some time to read :/

message 27: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Trying it out.

Oh it was awful :(
Um... probably tonight. Haha, I'm going to linger for a bit until I hear from Flann though.

Oh my gosh, I don't think they've ever cancelled school for the rain. Even in Tameside.
Has it flooded?
It's actualy dry here.. but there are clouds looming.

Catie Yeah, there has been a bit of flooding. But enough to take away mommy's alone time? I seriously doubt it. Wusses.

J/K. We actually had a fabulous morning together. (Because Jo's preschool? NOT cancelled. Apparently it's still safe for the 3-5 year olds to go to school.)

I hope Flannery's loving it too. How could she not?

message 29: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Well, they're smaller. They could float more easily?
;-)

She's already read it I think, she rated it 5 stars.

Bet you she's jumped on a plane to Canada as we speak without us.

Cheeky minx.

Catie She's always off having adventures and doing real life things. Pish!

I hope she shows up soon. *Waits pathetically*

message 31: by Jo (last edited Sep 09, 2011 10:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Real... real life things?

Although.. the rugby world cup starts today so I'll probably be making myself scarce too.
I'm adjusting my body clock to Kiwi time this instant.

*adjusts*

message 32: by Trinity (new) - added it

Trinity I needs to read this :)

Flannery Remember when you didn't put any updates in the thread. Also, remember when I wanted to murder you? No? It's right now.

message 34: by Limonessa (new)

Limonessa Nice review! I feel like reading this now.

Catie Hahaha, this is one of my favorite of your reviews. Nicely done.

message 36: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Thanks, ladies!

Dear Catie,
Thanks for yanking my arm behind my back and forcing me to read this and love this recommending this book to me.

-J

Flannery DON'T EAT THE PLUM PUDDING! Are you crazy!? Oh wait, that was plum sauce for the pudding.

message 38: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Plum sauce?

I'm so confused.

And hungry.

Catie Does that happen in a later book??

Or is it just in the movie...

I could swear it was in one of the books.

message 40: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo I don't understand what is happening.

There has been no mention of suspect plum pudding... I don't think. :-S

message 41: by Flannery (last edited Sep 12, 2011 09:58AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Flannery Um, because Anne forgot to cover it that one time and (view spoiler) Remember?

ETA: It's in the first book.

message 42: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo Oh YES.

I remember that now.

Well.. I'm about 99% sure I wouldn't like plum pudding anyway... so that's fine.

Flannery I'm 99% sure I WOULD like raspberry cordial. Where can we buy such a thing?

message 44: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo OMG WE COULD MAKE OUR OWN.

Catie OMG, there's one with Anne's face on it that you can get on Prince Edward Island!!!!!!!!

We need to go, like yesterday.

message 46: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo That is possibly the best thing I have ever seen ever ever ever.

Wendy Darling I've been making raspberry cordial for years. :) I am over the moon that you love Anne so much, Jo. I knew you were a kindred spirit!

Maureen This is the greatest review ever!

Green Elephant Girl ™ Brilliant review.

deziare Winfield I love the story